Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Acts 20

Because of Paul's great desire to be in Jerusalem at the day of Pentecost, he was unable to stop by Ephesus so -

"...from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church." (New Testament Acts 20:17)

I'm sure the reference to the elders of the Church were the local priesthood leaders. It was to these brethren he informed -

"...behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more." (New Testament Acts 20:25)

It must have been a difficult time in the ancient church in those days with "churches" or individual units spread so far geographically from one another and with the limiting forms of communication in those days. Being guided by the Spirit, Paul knew how difficult it would be to return to Ephesus with the work he was to do. You can sense his sincerity has he counsels and forewarns -

"...Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch..." (New Testament Acts 20:28 - 31)

These brethren had been called to be shepherds over their flock. And how were they to know their duty, by the Holy Ghost which inspired their callings. Paul knew what would eventually happen to these dedicated disciples and their flock for he prophecied to the Thessolonians -

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?" (New Testament 2 Thessalonians 2:3 - 5)

As Paul foretold, this falling away took place, "not sparing the flock". But in the spring of 1820 -

"...the times of restitution of all things" (New Testament Acts 3:21)

...began in a grove of trees in upstate New York. As Paul departed he reminded and counseled these leaders -

"...I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." (New Testament Acts 20:35)

This was their charge, this is the charge of all priesthood leaders in our day. The Savior taught the Pharisees -

"For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother." (New Testament Mark 3:35)

We see this brotherly love for -

"...when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all.
37 And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul's neck, and kissed him,
38 Sorrowing most of all for the words which he spake, that they should see his face no more. And they accompanied him unto the ship." (New Testament Acts 20:36 - 38)