Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 05, 2006

2 Chronicles 6 - 9

After Solomon had finished and dedicated the temple -

"...the LORD appeared to Solomon by night..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:12)

and told him -

"...I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:12)

All of Israel now had the benefit and blessings of the Lord's house in Jerusalem. The Savior himself had visibly come to the temple The Savior, during his mortal ministry taught -

"...For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required." (New Testament Luke 12:48)

But nonetheless, the Lord has said -

"...as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:30)

These principles become evident in the Lord's appearance to Solomon. In that Israel was given so much The Lord suggests to Solomon -

"...If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:13)

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:14)

The people called by my name are them that -

"...under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.
9 And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 5:8 - 9)

For the Lord has-

"...chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there for ever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:16)

And if those that have taken upon them his name -

"...turn away, and forsake my statutes and my commandments, which I have set before you..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:19)

He tells Solomon -

"Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.
21 And this house, which is high, shall be an astonishment to every one that passeth by it; so that he shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and unto this house?
22 And it shall be answered, Because they forsook the LORD God of their fathers..." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:20 - 22)