Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

1 Chronicles 8 - 22

As I have been reading the Old Testament, I have also been reading the Book of Mormon. This morning, I just happened upon two somewhat related counsel of father and son in both books. David who in the past had demonstrated great faith and trust in the Lord but had seemed to fall from such trust as -

"...Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 21:1)

Where David had always relied upon the Lord in all matters, it appears now his faith was waning as he asked -

"...Joab and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel..." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 21:2)

And because of that -

"...God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 21:7)

David Confesses to the Lord -

"...I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now, I beseech thee, do away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 21:8)

And after great pestilence amongst Israel, David repented -

"And David built there an altar unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the LORD; and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.
27 And the LORD commanded the angel; and he put up his sword again into the sheath thereof."
(Old Testament 1 Chronicles 21:26 - 27)

Now as David had errored at times in his life, notice the counsel to his son Solomon -

Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou...Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.
13 Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 22:11 - 13)

Alma confesses to Helaman -

"...I went about with the sons of Mosiah, seeking to destroy the church of God..." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:6)

And after a visitation of an angel and sore repentence being -

"...racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:12)

And -

"...as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!" (Book of Mormon Alma 36:18 - 20)

And after he repented, notice the words of Alma to his son Helaman in comparison to David and Solomon -

"....inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land..." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:30)

"...O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.
36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." (Book of Mormon Alma 37:35 - 37)