Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Alma 33

The prophet Zenos said concerning worship and prayer, that God did heard his prayers –

“…when I was in the wilderness; yea, thou wast merciful when I prayed concerning those who were mine enemies, and thou didst turn them to me. (Book of Mormon Alma 33:4)

“…when I did cry unto thee in my field…thou didst hear me.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:5)

“…when I did turn to my house thou didst hear me in my prayer.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:6)

“…thou hast been merciful unto me, and heard my cries in the midst of thy congregations.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:9)

“…thou hast also heard me when I have been cast out and have been despised by mine enemies…” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:10)

But not just him only, but –

“…thou art merciful unto thy children when they cry unto thee, to be heard of thee and not of men, and thou wilt hear them.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:8)

As I read the words of Zenos, I thought it was interesting that as he describes his prayers to God touching upon his sins, sickness, pain, suffering, affliction, repentance, and so on, there was distinct reference to that of the Savior and the atonement –

“…thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:11)

Alma taught the people of Gideon -

"...And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people…and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities…the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance…” (Book of Mormon Alma 7:11 - 13)

It seems interesting to me that for some reason, that throughout history, the natural man refuses to believe in the atonement of the Savior. In fact, in many cases they become rather active against it. The prophet Zenock prayed –

“…Thou art angry, O Lord, with this people, because they will not understand thy mercies which thou hast bestowed upon them because of thy Son.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:16)

And –

“…because the people would not understand his words they stoned him to death.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:17)

Even in Old Testament days, the Savior –

“…was spoken of by Moses; yea, and behold a type was raised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:19)

But again –

“…few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:20)

That seems so ridiculous, but is it not the same today? Alma asked the Zoramites –

“…if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in unbelief, and be slothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish?” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:21)

In summary, to all people, if ye desire not to perish –

“..then cast about your eyes and begin to believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to atone for their sins; and that he shall rise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the resurrection, that all men shall stand before him, to be judged at the last and judgment day, according to their works….And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will.” (Book of Mormon Alma 33:22 - 23)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home