Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Alma 20 - 22

The Prophet Joseph Smith explained -

"We believe that the first principles...of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance..." (Pearl of Great Price Articles of Faith 1:4)

As Aaron, the brother of Ammon, administered to Lamoni's father, king over all the land of the Lamanites, the King asked -

"..What is this that ye have said concerning the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, this is the thing which doth trouble me.
6 And also, what is this that Ammon said—If ye will repent ye shall be saved, and if ye will not repent, ye shall be cast off at the last day?" (Book of Mormon Alma 22:5 - 6)

Then -

"...when Aaron saw that the king would believe his words, he began... reading the scriptures unto the king...and Aaron did expound unto him the scriptures from the creation of Adam, laying the fall of man before him, and their carnal state and also the plan of redemption, which was prepared from the foundation of the world, through Christ, for all whosoever would believe on his name." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:12 - 13)

And then with great faith -

"...the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day?..." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:15)

How much faith? He said -

"...I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:15)

What a commitment of sacrifice. But not only do I see this statement of the king as a great sacrifice, but I also see it as a great act of humility. To forsake his kingdom would mean he was willing to accept the social status as that of all the other Lamanites with no power or authority. Whatever pride he had before was now a non-limiting factor. He was willing to give up his kingdom on earth in hopes to receive the Kingdom of Heaven. But even with this great act of faith and sacrifice, it wasn't enough - it was only the first principle of the gospel. Aaron then teaches the king -

"...If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:16)

After Aaron taught these things -

"...the king did bow down before the Lord, upon his knees; yea, even he did prostrate himself upon the earth, and cried mightily, saying:
18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:17 - 18)

It was then that he, like his son Lamoni, experienced a miraculous conversion for -

"... the king stood forth, and began to minister unto them. And he did minister unto them, insomuch that his whole household were converted unto the Lord." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:23)

"The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." (Old Testament Psalms 34:18)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home