Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 02, 2020

Mosiah 5

It seems in ancient scripture that when a righteous person makes a new covenant with God, they are given a new name (i.e Abraham, Sarah, Israel).  To me it is symbolic of being born again, becoming a new creature, thus taking on a new name.

King Benjamin taught -

"And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters."  (Mosiah 5:7)

Thus truly taking upon us the name of Christ, making a covenant to serve Him, keep His commandments, always remembering Him, consecrating and representing him, and doing His will, we in a sense becomes as Scandinavian countries, besides receiving a name, our surname comes from our fathers name.  In this case "Christson".  Thus -

"There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.
9 And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ."  (Mosiah 5:8–9)