Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 27, 2020

Mosiah 24

I have always wondered why...if Alma and his people escape Helam as the Lord puts the Lamanites to sleep, why didn't He protect them again in their newly settled place...Alma where -

"...the Lord said unto Alma: Haste thee and get thou and this people out of this land, for the Lamanites have awakened and do pursue thee; therefore get thee out of this land, and I will stop the Lamanites in this valley that they come no further in pursuit of this people."  (Mosiah 24:23)


After this past general conference, I sent the following to the Elders quorum -


"Reviewing Church history, we know that Joseph Smith, Sr. experienced multiple economic setbacks, failures and discouragements during the time he lived in New England, including some investments that went south, crop failures due to weather, family health, etc. causing he and his family to move multiples times while in New England.  Each time having to pick himself up and moving he and his family forward.


In Elder Ballard’s remarks in general conference, he referred to Joseph Smith, Sr. and his family finally giving up with New England, moving to Manchester and “starting over” on a 100 acre parcel of land. He commented, “I’m not sure if that many of us realize the physical and emotional challenges that starting over presented the Smith family”.

With all of these difficult challenges the Smiths were experiencing, and probably wondering why, we now can see years later, with 20/20 vision, how much the Lord’s hand was intimately involved in their life.  The Lord needed Joseph Smith, Sr. with his future prophet son, in Manchester.  We all know how much Joseph Smith Sr. was blessed because of it."

It dawned on me this morning that Alma's people probably could have done just fine in valley of Alma if the Lord willed.  But we see that the Lord wanted Alma in the land of Zarahemla.  And because of that, Alma and his people were blessed.