Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 03, 2017

D&C 84

This morning I was reading the words of Alma to the people of Ammonihah.  They were a strict warning of destruction because of the "gross" wickedness if they did not repent saying -

"...seeing that your hearts have been grossly hardened against the word of God, and seeing that ye are a lost and a fallen people."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 9:30)

In the latter days, the Savior now warns -

"...I, the Almighty, have laid my hands upon the nations, to scourge them for their wickedness.
97 And plagues shall go forth, and they shall not be taken from the earth until I have completed my work..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:96 - 97)

I can't help but wonder is the world becoming "grossly" wicked enough to be destroyed even to the point?

"...let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:114)

I note the word "if" which is much the same as that given to Ammonihah.