Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 20, 2012

3 Nephi 14

There are many that believe that it doesn't matter your religious beliefs because all roads lead to heaven.  But that isn't what the Savior taught -

"Enter ye in at the strait gate; for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, which leadeth to destruction, and many there be who go in thereat;
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."  (Book of Mormon  3 Nephi 14:13 - 14)

We learn earlier in the that with the teachings of Nephi that it had -

"...been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost."  (Book of Mormon  2 Nephi 31:17)

So how are we to know which way?  The Savior warns -

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them."  (Book of Mormon  3 Nephi 14:15 - 20)

In my mind, false prophets are not necessarily just religious leaders, but could be considered as political leaders, celebrities, etc. that preach a false philosophy and/or lifestyle.

The Savior made it clear -

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity."  (Book of Mormon   3 Nephi 14:21 - 23)

In the Joseph Smith translation of the New Testament, it becomes a little bit more clear with "you never knew me".  This seems to make more sense to me.